Friday, May 01, 2009

I Can Do It...

Okay, today started off a little rough...I was asked by an investigator to watch her 3 yr. old today. Her school was closed for an administration day and she had nowhere else to put Caitlyn, so of course I obliged. I have been anxious lately about whether I was ready to handle having two children. Our little family of three has been SO nice, almost perfect! I wondered if I could handle chasing after a toddler and breastfeed a newborn at the same time, read to a toddler and change a diaper at the same time, etc. I've talked to Simon about it on numerous nights and have always felt a calmness in my heart. Even though I have the peace, fear still creeps in now and then, making me feel nervous about the transition our lives are about to take in a couple of months. But, at least now I KNOW I can do it.
The day started off with Caitlyn coming over before 7:00 (yeah, not even Sofi gets up that early, but I digress..). We all had breakfast and I brought out the bins of toys for them to play together. Caitlyn is an only child and is not used to sharing and I was pre-warned by her mother. Caitlyn then started whining about every little thing (wanting her juice RIGHT NOW, wanting to watch Sponge Bob, etc.) I thought, "great", this is how my day is going to be! So, I spent the first hour teaching her about sharing, not whining, and teaching Sofi about not taking everything out of other people's hands. But, then I watched them a few minutes later and they were sharing and playing like best friends! They stayed this way for the remainder of the day. They both actually listened to me! We all went to storytime at Whole Foods (if there is one near you, please go on Fridays. It's awesome!), played at the playground, came home for lunch and then I did the most amazing thing...I got Sofi to sleep like usual and then I came back downstairs and got Caitlyn to sleep! I felt triumphant and rewarded myself with something sweet (caramel corn) and started a new book Simon bought me. And, I got the house back in its clean and orderly manner. Yeah, me! The girls woke up a few hours later at about the same time and we had a snack, played a little, and then it was time for Caitlyn's mom to pick her up!

So, I guess I can handle having two children...I am sure there will be days when my house is a complete disaster, when I will feel completely drained and want to scream, etc. But, even in the midst of this, I will remember today.!

6 comments:

Nicole Bolinger said...

Of course you can do it, well, b/c when it comes down to it you won't have any choice but to do it. But, at least now you KNOW you can do it and be sain!! ;) You sound like a great mommy!! I wish we had a whole foods here. ;( And BTW, I am pretty sure Nora would be coming over whining about her juice and spongebob too...I wish it weren't true, but what can you do??? Hopefully you will be a better mommy than me, once a second child came into our home, sometimes it's just easier to give in. UGHHH!!! i hate that I can say that, but it's true! ;)

gapeach said...

Yes, of COURSE you can do it!!! You're amazing, San--and with your strong faith, all will turn out even more perfectly than you could have imagined!!! :>

Lisa

Ashley said...

Why am I not surprised at all that you were so triumphant in this task? You make motherhood look like a breeze. By the way, we're having a girl.

The Grays: said...

Thanks everyone! I REALLY appreciate your encouragement. It means a lot to me! Nicole, you are Super Mommy to me and I hope that some of that will rub off on me :). Lisa, you are the best and the Ashby is blessed to have you as a mother. You are a great mom that I have learned so much from! And, Ashley, I am SO excited for you and your upcoming arrival! What a blessed little girl she already is!

Robyn said...

I've been meaning to visit your blog for so long. You guys are amazing. I am impressed by your day and the whole "house back in its clean and orderly manner". I wish my house's natural state was clean and orderly! Great job and good luck! And Sofi is so so beautiful. Just an angel.

tessa said...

Awww. What a nice little present from Heavenly Father of a preview of things to come. I'm sure you'll make life with 2 seem a breeze, serenely floating through your days:) It can be chaotic at first but I'm certain you'll be fabulous at juggling the balancing act that is multiple children. Really it is a lot of fun:) I enjoyed my more peaceful days of 1 little girl but our family is so full and complete with our subsequent additions. I can't imagine life any other way. You and Simon will be the best!